Healthier chocolate cake
Not only have we slashed the fat, sugar and calories in our indulgent chocolate cake, but we’ve made it gluten-free too, for a tea-time treat more people can enjoy.
Prep Time 10 min + soaking + cooling
Cooking Time 1 hourHealthy Food Guide
- Cooking oil spray, to grease
- 250g soft pitted dates, chopped
- 175g 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), melted
- 75g cocoa powder
- 200g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 150g caster sugar
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 500g tub fat-free Greek yogurt
- 250g frozen berries, thawed
- Fresh mint sprigs, to decorate (optional)
For the topping
- Heat the oven to 170°C/fan 150°C/gas 3. Grease a 23cm springform tin with spray oil.
- Put the dates and 100ml boiling water into a food processor and soak for 10 min. Blend to a smooth purée, then transfer to a mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the remaining cake ingredients to the date purée and mix until smooth and combined. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 50–60 min (cover loosely with foil after 25 min to stop the top from over-browning). The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 min before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust the cake with the icing sugar, then slice and serve topped with the yogurt, berries and a mint sprig, if using.