- 175ml light evaporated milk
- 3 gelatine sheets
- ½tsp instant coffee powder (optional)
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 25g icing sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 70g dark chocolate, melted
- Put the evaporated milk in the freezer for 20 min to cool (this will allow it to whip well).
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatine for 5 min in cold water, then drain and dissolve in 2tbsp boiling water. Stir in the coffee powder (if using), cocoa powder and icing sugar. Set aside for a few min.
- In a large bowl, whisk the chilled evaporated milk until it’s doubled in volume. Add half to the gelatine mixture and fold in, then fold in the remainder.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold into the gelatine mixture with the melted chocolate. Divide among 6 glass dishes or ramekins, then chill for at least 1 hr before serving.
Serve with… a few sponge fingers and a large handful of berries. For a special occasion, mix the berries with a dash of your favourite liqueur, then spoon them into glasses and top with the mousse