User Review( votes)
When you look beyond the oats to the butter, sugar and syrup, it’s clear your waistline is paying the price for flapjacks so we've made them healthier.
Serves Makes 12
Prep Time 10 min + cooling
Cooking Time 25 min
- 150g reduced-fat butter (we used Lurpak Lighter Spreadable), plus extra to grease
- 150g ready-to-eat soft stoned dates
- 3tbsp apple juice
- 30g toasted whole hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 100g ready-to-eat dried apricots, finely chopped
- 225g porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Grease and line a shallow 17.5cm square tin with baking paper. Put the dates and apple juice in a food processor and whiz until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Take the pan off the heat, then stir in the date purée with the remaining ingredients to combine. Press the mixture into the prepared tin with damp hands, then bake for 20–25 min until just golden.
- Remove and set aside to cool for 10 min. Cut into squares while still warm in the tin, then leave to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.