- 2–3 large aubergines (750–800g total weight), sliced into 5mm thick rounds
- 375g potatoes, sliced into 5mm thick rounds
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g 10% fat lamb mince
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 2tsp dried oregano, plus an extra pinch
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 3tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- 200g low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/ gas 5 and line 2 large baking sheets with non-stick baking paper. Spread the aubergine slices over the baking sheets, then cook in the oven for 15 min. Remove and set aside, but leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pan of water to the boil, then add the potato slices and cook for 5 min. Drain in a colander, then rinse under cold water, drain again and set aside.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set it over a medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic, stirring constantly, for 5 min or until softened. Add the lamb mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break it up, for 5 min. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, oregano, cinnamon and mint and stir to combine. Season to taste with ground black pepper and cook on a low heat for 8–10 min.
- While the meat mixture is cooking, combine the yogurt and egg in a small bowl, then set aside.
- Put a third of the meat mixture into the base of a large ovenproof dish. Top with a layer of potato slices, then a layer of aubergine. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up, finishing with a layer of aubergine on top.
- Pour the yogurt and egg mixture over the moussaka to evenly cover. Crumble over the feta and sprinkle with a pinch of oregano, then cook in the oven for 20 min or until golden and bubbling at the edges.
Tip Serve this with a simple salad of ripe tomatoes and red onion, with a good grind of black pepper.
If you’re a fan of Greek food, we’ve got plenty of recipes to keep you inspired.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
287kcal 24.3g 11g 6g 6.8g 11.6g 1g 163mg 24.4g 3.1mg