User Review( vote)
Healthier Welsh rarebit
It’s the ultimate cheese on toast, and our slimmed-down version delivers all the savoury satisfaction for half the calorie cost of the original
Prep Time 10 min
Cooking Time 5 min
- 4tbsp stout, such as Guinness
- 80g reduced-fat mature cheddar, coarsely grated
- 30g parmesan, finely grated
- 75g quark (we used The Lake District Dairy Co)
- 2tsp plain flour
- 1tsp English mustard powder
- 2tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 x 25g slices of sourdough bread, lightly toasted
- Boil the stout in a small pan until reduced to 1tbsp. Mix in a bowl with the remaining ingredients, except the toast. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the grill to medium-high.Spread the cheese mixture over the slices of toast, then grill on a lined baking sheet until golden. Leave for 1 min before serving.