User Review( vote)
Healthier yule log
It’s a classic indulgence, but before ruling it out on account of its fat and sugar content, consider our sumptuous healthy version of a yule log.
Prep Time 25 min + cooling and chilling
Cooking Time 15 min
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 70g plain flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- 40g ground almonds
- 3 gelatine sheets (we used Costa fine leaf, from supermarkets)
- 400g extra-light soft cheese
- 2tsp vanilla paste
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 4tbsp clementine or orange juice
- 2tbsp Cointreau or orange liqueur
- 250g fresh or frozen mixed berries, half of them squashed lightly with the back of a spoon
- 25g white chocolate, grated, to decorate
For the filling
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Line a 31cm x 21cm Swiss roll or brownie tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Whisk the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla extract with a hand-held electric whisk for about 4 min until pale and fluffy, then fold in the flour, baking powder and almonds. Spoon the sponge mixture evenly over the prepared tin. Bake for 12–15 min, until springy and lightly golden. Remove from the oven, then cover with a clean, damp tea towel to stop the sponge drying out. Leave in tin to cool completely.
- Soak the gelatine in cold water for 5 min, then drain.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the soft cheese, vanilla paste and icing sugar until smooth. Heat the clementine juice until hot, add the drained gelatine, then stir to dissolve. Pour into the cheese mixture and whisk until smooth. Chill for 2 hr, then stir again until smooth.
- To assemble, put the cooled tin upside down on a sheet of baking paper. Remove the tin and carefully peel the paper off the base. Drizzle with the orange liqueur. Spread with just less than half of the cream filling, leaving a 2cm margin along one short edge. Scatter with the crushed berries. Roll the roulade from the covered short edge to the bare edge and transfer to a serving plate.
- Using a palette knife, spread the remaining filling over the roulade in swirls and peaks. Decorate with the reserved whole berries and white chocolate. Chill for at least 2 hr before serving.