User Review( votes)
Healthier crème brulée
Our healthier crème brulée has a staggering 530 fewer calories and 66g less fat per serving, so you really can indulge without guilt.
Prep Time 10 min + chilling
Cooking Time 30 min
- 410g can light evaporated milk
- 100ml skimmed milk
- 60g caster sugar, plus 4tsp extra
- 25g custard powder
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 1–2tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 150g fresh or frozen berries, defrosted (if frozen) and drained on kitchen paper
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/fan 140°C/gas 3. Put four 175ml ramekins in a large roasting pan.
- In a medium pan whisk together the evaporated milk, skimmed milk, sugar and custard powder until smooth. Stir over a medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens slightly. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl, then pour them into the pan of hot custard, whisking continuously until the mixture is well combined. Stir in the vanilla extract or paste.
- Spoon the berries evenly among the ramekins, then pour the hot custard over the top. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting tin to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 25–30 min, until the custard is set. Remove the ramekins from the water and leave to cool, then transfer to the fridge until they’re completely cold.
- Preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle 1tsp sugar over the top of each custard. Put them under the grill for 2 min, or until the sugar bubbles and caramelises. Alternatively, use a cook’s blow torch – hold about 8cm away from the sugar and move over each ramekin for about 20 sec.