- 400g tin light evaporated milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Good grating nutmeg
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1kg desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into 3mm slices
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 40g reduced-fat mature cheese, finely grated
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Mix the milk, garlic, nutmeg and all but 1tsp of the thyme leaves in a jug. Season with ground black pepper.
- Layer a third of the potatoes in a 2 litre gratin dish and sprinkle with half the shallots. Repeat the layers once, then finish with a layer of potatoes. Pour over the milk mixture and scatter with the reserved thyme. Cover with foil, then bake for 1 hr 10 min.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cheese and cook for 15–20 min or until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are cooked through.
How it compares to a classic dauphinoise potatoes recipe:
Classic dauphinoise potatoes recipe per serving: 521kcal, 8.3g protein, 40.3g fat, 24.8g saturates, 33.4g carbs, 5g sugar, 3.4g fibre, 0.4g salt, 166mg calcium, 0.8mg iron
See above for HFG’s dauphinoise potatoes nutrition per serving
In search of more healthy potato inspiration? Look no further than our tastiest ever healthy mashed potato recipe.