- Olive oil spray
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 600g spinach
- 180g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- 250g low-fat cottage cheese
- Zest 1 lemon
- 4tbsp coarsely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 4tbsp coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 50g panko breadcrumbs or dry white breadcrumbs
- 4 filo pastry sheets
- 30g pine nuts
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
- 5 tomatoes and 1 red onion, all sliced, and lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over a medium heat, then fry the onion and garlic together for 6–8 min until softened.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a large bowl. Pour over a kettleful of freshly boiled water, then stir and leave for 1 min. Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water, then squeeze out as much moisture as you can (do this in 2–3 batches). Finely chop
- Combine the feta and cottage cheese in a large bowl, then add the chopped spinach, lemon zest, parsley and mint, along with the onion and garlic mixture. Season with black pepper, then stir in the breadcrumbs until well combined.
- Lay a sheet of filo on the worksurface with the short edge nearest to you. Spray with oil, then place a second sheet on top lengthways (again with the short edge nearest to you) so it covers about half of the first sheet, to make a rough square. Repeat with the remaining 2 sheets so you have a square of double thickness, with a thicker seam down the middle.
- Spray a 20x30cm (approx)baking tin with oil. Carefully place the filo square on top with the ends overhanging. Spoon in the spinach mixture and scatter over the pine nuts, then fold the overhanging filo over the top, leaving an opening in the centre. Spray with oil and sprinkle with the sesame seeds, then bake for 40–45 min until the filo is golden and the filling set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 min in the baking tin, then transfer to a board and serve with a tomato and onion salad and lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
352kcal 14g 3.6g 10g 1.7g