- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 reduced-fat pork sausages, skins removed, chopped into 3cm pieces
- 4 large skinless and boneless chicken thighs, sliced
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 300ml hot reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
- 2 x 400g tins haricot beans in water, drained
- 2tbsp toasted breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Gently heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole (with a lid), then fry the sausages for 5–7 min until golden. Add the chicken and fry for 5 min or until lightly coloured, then transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. If needed, add another splash of oil to the casserole, then add the onion, carrot and celery. Cover with the lid and fry gently for 20 min, stirring occasionally, or until the veg begin to caramelise.
- Return the chicken and sausages to the casserole with the garlic, stock, tomatoes and thyme. Cover, then transfer to the oven and cook for 20 min.
- Stir in the beans, then return the casserole to the oven, uncovered, for 40 min or until bubbling. Scatter over the breadcrumbs and pumpkin seeds, then serve.
How it compares to a classic cassoulet recipe:
Classic cassoulet recipe per serving: 1,084kcal, 76.2g protein, 48.6g fat, 15.7g saturates, 85g carbs, 12.9g sugar, 32g fibre, 2.4g salt, 396mg calcium, 13mg iron
See below for HFG’s cassoulet nutrition per serving