- 400g small new potatoes in their skins, halved
- 500g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 350g flesh)
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ aubergine, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- ½tsp ground turmeric
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1tbsp garam masala
- Good pinch dried chilli flakes
- 75g baby spinach
- 4 eggs
- Steam the potatoes, butternut squash and carrots for 12–15 min until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, then fry the onion and aubergine for 5–6 min until softened. Add the garlic, mustard seeds and turmeric and cook for 2–3 min.
- Add the potatoes, squash, carrots and tomatoes to the pan and fry over a high heat for about 6 min, squashing down the veg a little and stirring occasionally, or until piping hot and a golden crust begins to form underneath. Stir in the garam masala, chilli and baby spinach
and cook for 1 min more.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a separate non-stick frying pan, then fry the eggs to your liking.
- Divide the bubble and squeak mixture among 4 plates, then top each with a fried egg and a grind of black pepper to serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
285kcal 12.9g 12.4g 2.1g 8.4g 13.2g 0.3g 158mg 32.5g 4.2mg