User Review( votes)
Joe Wicks’ chicken and mozzarella salad with warm tomato dressing
Joe says: 'This is probably the best salad I’ve ever made. Poaching the chicken in stock keeps it really moist and gives it so much more flavour. I think your family and friends will love this one.’
Prep Time 15 min
Cooking Time 25 minHealthy Food Guide
- 1¼ litres chicken stock
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 5tbsp olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 large fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 16 cherry tomatoes, roughly halved
- 6tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 avocados, flesh chopped into chunks
- 2 x 110g mozzarella balls, torn into large chunks
- 2 large handfuls rocket and 1–2tbsp balsamic vinegar, to serve (optional)
- Pour the chicken stock into a large lidded saucepan and bring to the boil. Slide in the chicken breasts – if the liquid doesn’t cover them, add a little more stock or water. Bring back up to the boil, then clamp on the lid and turn down the heat to low. Simmer for 10 min.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the chicken in the warm stock for a further 10 min with the lid still on.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Pour 4½tbsp of the oil into a saucepan and add the spring onions, rosemary, garlic, chilli and tomatoes, along with a good grinding of pepper. Set over a medium-low heat and cook for 10 min, being careful not to let the oil get too hot. Turn off the heat and leave the mixture to sit while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Heat the remaining ½tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. When it’s hot, tip in the breadcrumbs and fry for about 3 min or until they are crisp and golden. Transfer the breadcrumbs to a clean piece of kitchen roll to drain off the excess oil.
- Carefully remove the cooked chicken from the stock and tear it up with your hands or a couple of forks. Put on a large serving plate along with the avocado and mozzarella chunks. Spoon over the warm tomato dressing, then top with the rocket and the fried breadcrumbs. Serve drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar, if you like.