- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 4 smoked back bacon rashers, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300–500ml beef stock
- 700g reduced-fat beef mince
- 500g turkey mince
- 300g dry spaghetti
- 100g rocket and 80g grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a very large saucepan over a medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the onions, carrot, red pepper and celery and fry, stirring occasionally, for about 8 min or until the vegetables have softened a little.
- Add the bacon strips, bay leaf, garlic and thyme to the mixture and continue to fry for another 3 min. Squeeze in the tomato purée and mix. Increase the heat to maximum, then fry the whole lot, stirring, for 2 min. Add the tomatoes and 300ml of the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a very low simmer.
- Put a large non-stick frying pan on a second hob over the maximum heat, then pour in a drizzle of the remaining oil. Add half the beef mince to the frying pan and don’t touch it – let it fry hard for about 1 min, then spread it out a little across the base of the pan. The idea here is to brown the meat – too much prodding doesn’t help! Tip the browned meat into the gently simmering tomato sauce.
- Wipe the beef pan clean, then put it back over a high heat and repeat the process with a little more oil, the rest of the beef mince, then the turkey mince.
- Bring the pan of bolognese up to a simmer, partially cover, then cook, stirring now and then, for 1 hr 30 min. Make sure it doesn’t boil dry, adding more stock if needed. When it’s almost ready, cook the spaghetti in unsalted water according to the pack instructions.
- Serve the bolognese with the spaghetti, rocket and parmesan.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
482 47.9g 15.2g 5.6g 4.6g 9.6g 1.1g 187mg 36g 3.2mg