- Cooking oil spray
- 400g lean lamb leg steaks, cut into small chunks
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 75g pearl barley
- 500g mixed root vegetables, such as potatoes, parsnips and swede, peeled and diced
- 1.25 litres hot stock, made with 3tsp reduced-salt lamb or vegetable stock powder
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 175g frozen peas
- Wholemeal baguette (about 200g), to serve
- Basil leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Spray a large non-stick saucepan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add the lamb and cook until evenly browned. Add the onion, barley and diced root veg and cook for 5 min. Add the stock, worcestershire sauce, dried thyme and bay leaf. Stir, then cover with a lid and simmer for 20 min. Add the peas and simmer, covered, for another 10 min.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls, discarding the bay leaf, and sprinkle with ground black pepper. Serve with the wholemeal baguette, garnished with basil leaves, if you like.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
448 31.9g 11.4g 4.1g 10.9g 8.6g 1.9g 150mg 58.4g 5.6mg