- 1tbsp olive oil
- 800g lean lamb, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml reduced-salt beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g medium-size potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Cooking oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Heat half the oil in a large, shallow casserole dish (suitable for use on the hob) over a medium-high heat. Cook the lamb in batches until browned all over. Transfer the lamb to a plate and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil over a medium heat. Cook the onions, carrots, red pepper, mushrooms and thyme for 5–7 min, until softened. Add the flour and stir to coat. Gradually add the Worcestershire sauce and stock, stirring continuously, and bring to the boil. Add the bay leaves and lamb to the dish, then remove from the heat.
- Arrange the potato slices over the lamb mixture in a circular pattern, starting from the outside and working towards the centre. Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 1 hr 15 min, until the potatoes are tender and the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7 and remove the lid from the casserole dish. Spray the potatoes with oil and season with black pepper. Bake, uncovered, for a further 10–15 min, until the potatoes are golden.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
346 30.8g 13.7g 5.2g 4.4g 8.1g 0.9g 58mg 26.6g 3.1mg