- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- ½tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp allspice
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins lentils in water, rinsed and drained
- 3 aubergines (about 750g), thinly sliced
- Cooking oil spray
- 600g potatoes, peeled and sliced into 5mm thick slices
- 40g parmesan, finely grated
- 150g mixed salad leaves and 2tbsp balsamic vinegar, to serve
- Heat half the olive oil in a large, deep, non-stick saucepan (that has a lid) over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook, stirring, for 8 min or until soft. Add the cinnamon and allspice and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and lentils to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 20 min.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking paper. Lay the aubergine slices on the sheets in a single layer and spray with oil. Bake for 15 min or until tender.
- Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Boil for 6–8 min until tender.
- Spread a third of the lentil mixture across the base of a 2.5–3 litre ovenproof dish. Arrange half the baked aubergine slices over the lentil mixture. Top with another third of the lentil mixture, then top with the remaining aubergine slices. Finish with the remaining lentil mixture. Arrange the potato slices over the top and scatter over the parmesan. Put the dish in the oven to bake for 25 min or until tender and golden. Leave to stand for about 15 min.
- Toss the salad leaves with the balsamic vinegar and remaining olive oil and serve with the gratin.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
273kcal 12.5g 7.3g 2.4g 13.3g 14.7g 0.2g 151mg 41.5g 4.6mg