- 2tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 150g potato, peeled and finely diced
- 500ml vegetable stock
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 2 small round or 1 iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- 2tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 3tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 tbsp half-fat cream cheese
- Add the oil, onion and potato to a medium non-stick pan and stir to coat the vegetables with the oil. Cook on a medium heat, then cover the pan and leave to sweat for 8 min. Add the stock, bring to the boil, season with freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg, then reduce the heat to simmer for 4 min. Add the lettuce and simmer for 7 min more. Add the dill and cook for a further 1 min.
- Blend the soup until smooth using a hand-held blender, or transfer to a food processor. Strain it through a sieve back into the pan. Add the crème fraiche and stir through gently, then season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and sprinkle the dill on top. Serve with rye bread spread with a little cream cheese.
TIP Add a touch of luxury by sprinkling a little diced smoked salmon over the soup. Add a generous grinding of black pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice to bring the flavours together.