- 50g dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 30g dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 80g beansprouts
- 80g tinned water chestnuts, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small carrot, coarsely grated or peeled with a julienne peeler
- 100g chinese cabbage, thick stems removed, finely shredded
- ½tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, very finely sliced into ribbons
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and very finely chopped
- 6 sheets filo pastry, cut in half to make 12 23cm x 12.5cm rectangles (we used Jus-Rol)
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Cucumber, deseeded and cut into half moons; carrot ribbons; fresh parsley or coriander leaves and chopped red chilli, to serve (optional)
For the dipping sauce
- 50ml hoisin sauce
- 1tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2tsp sriracha chilli sauce
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of cold water for 3 min until soft. Drain, roughly chop and set aside. Put the shiitake mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside for 30 min. Drain, squeeze out excess water, coarsely chop and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over a high heat, then fry the ginger, garlic, beansprouts, water chestnuts, carrot and chinese cabbage for 1 min. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the mushrooms, noodles, soy sauce, spring onions and chilli.
- Put a filo rectangle on a clean work surface. Arrange about a twelfth of the veg and noodle mixture in a line, 5cm from one of the short sides, with a 2cm border at each end. Fold over the filo at each end to partially cover the filling, then fold over the 5cm border to enclose the filling and keep rolling into a log shape. Put on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and repeat with the remaining filo and filling.
- Brush each spring roll with the beaten egg, then bake for 20-25 min until crisp and golden. Mix the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a small bowl and serve alongside the spring rolls with
the cucumber, carrot ribbons, herb leaves and chopped chilli, if using.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
118kcal 3.3g 2.8g 0.4g 1.9g 3g 0.5g 34mg 18g 0.7mg