- 400g lean steak mince
- 40g fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 1 small courgette, finely grated and excess water squeezed out
- 50g frozen peas, blanched and mashed
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh basil sprigs
- 2 x 400g cans finely chopped tomatoes
- 200g linguine or fettuccine
- 20g parmesan, shaved
- 60g baby rocket, to serve
- Using your hands, combine the mince, breadcrumbs, courgette and peas in a bowl. Shape heaped teaspoons of the mixture into meatballs.
- Heat 2tsp of the oil in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the meatballs and chopped onion and cook, stirring, for 2–3 min until the meatballs are browned. Add the garlic and basil stems (reserve the leaves for later). Cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10–12 min until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water according to the pack instructions until al dente. Drain. Add the pasta to the meatballs and sauce and toss to coat. Garnish the pasta with the reserved basil leaves and scatter over the parmesan. Divide among 4 bowls and serve with the rocket on the side.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
449 35g 10g 3.8g 5.6g 12g 0.4g 164mg 50g 4.5mg