- Cooking oil spray
- 500g lean pork, diced
- 400g tin finely chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 125g spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- ½–1tsp dried chilli flakes (to taste)
- 1 reduced-salt chicken stock cube
- 175g instant polenta
- Fresh flatleaf parsley or coriander sprigs, to garnish
- Sliced red chillies or jalapeños, to garnish
- If you have a browning function on your slow cooker, spray the pot
with oil and fry the pork for 6–8 min until brown. Alternatively, brown in a large non-stick pan over a high heat.
- Combine all the ingredients except the stock cube and polenta in the slow cooker, adding 100ml water if the mixture looks dry. Turn the slow cooker to high and cook for 4 hr, or cook on low for 7 hr.
- Around 10–15 min before the end of the cooking time, bring 1 litre water and the stock cube to the boil in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in the polenta in a thin stream. Cook over a low heat for about 5 min, stirring constantly, until the polenta is thick and pulls away from the side of the pan.
- Serve the stew with the polenta, garnished with parsley or coriander and the
No slow cooker? Cook on the hob in a lidded casserole on the lowest heat for 3 hr or until the pork is tender.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
400 37.8g 7.5g 2.1g 9.4g 5.5g 0.8g 139mg 44.6g 5.3mg