- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stalk removed
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, thickly sliced
- Spray oil
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can cannellini beans in water, drained
- 1tsp dried oregano
- ½tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 50g reduced-fat vegetarian cheddar, sliced
- 125ml reduced-fat crème fraîche
- 4tbsp fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 wholegrain burger buns, halved
- 1 baby cos lettuce, shredded
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- Handful cress, to garnish
For the pickled pink onions
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 250ml apple cider vinegar
- ¼tsp sugar
- ¼tsp salt
- To make the pickled onions, put the onion in a bowl and cover with boiling water from the kettle. Leave to soak for 5 min. Drain, then return the onion to the bowl. Pour over the vinegar, add the sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the mushrooms and pepper on separate plates and spray lightly with oil. In a small bowl, combine the spices, then sprinkle the mixture over the mushrooms and peppers. Toss to coat, then set aside.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan that has a lid with oil and set over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for 30 sec. Add the beans, oregano, some black pepper and the chilli flakes, if using, and stir. Cook until heated through, then remove to a bowl and roughly mash together using a fork. Cover and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan, spray with oil and set over a high heat. Cook the pepper until softened and slightly charred. Remove to a plate, then add the mushrooms to the pan, underside down. Cook for about 3–4 min, then flip over. Put the cheese slices on the mushrooms, cover with the lid and cook
for a further 3–4 min until the mushrooms are cooked through and the cheese is melting.
- In a small bowl, combine the crème fraîche and coriander. Spread equally over the burger bun bases.
- To assemble, divide the lettuce among the bun bases, then layer each with the mushrooms, bean mash, pepper, avocado, tomato and chilli, if using. Top with the pickled onions and the cress to finish. Put each bun lid on top to serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
442 17.8g 20.4g 7.8g 14g 9.5g 1g 264mg 39.6g 4.6mg