- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1.2kg lean rolled brisket, unrolled and halved
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tbsp fajita or cajun seasoning
- 3 long, wide strips orange peel, pared with a veg peeler
- 500ml very low salt beef stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200g quinoa
- 400g can black beans in water, rinsed and drained
- 400g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- ½ x 25g bunch coriander, leaves only
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pan over a medium-high heat. Add the beef, brown all over, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2–3 min until the onion softens slightly. Add the seasoning and cook, stirring, for about 1 min. Stir in the orange peel, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil.
- Return the reserved beef to the dish, cover and cook over a very low heat for 3 hr, then remove the lid and cook for a further 30 min until the beef is very tender and the sauce has reduced slightly. Use 2 forks to shred the beef.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, put the quinoa in a pan with 450ml boiling water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to the lowest heat and cook, covered, for 12–15 min until all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat, but leave the pan on the hob for 5 min.
- Divide the quinoa among 6 bowls and top with the stew, black beans, tomatoes, avocado and coriander. Serve with a grind of black pepper.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
552kcal 52.7g 23.5g 7.1g 10.7g 10.4g 0.6g 94mg 32.2g 7.7mg