- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 300g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 very low salt chicken stock cube dissolved in 1 litre boiling water
- 500g frozen peas
- 200g cooked lean ham hock, shredded
- 1tbsp snipped fresh chives, plus extra to garnish
- 4tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 4tbsp low-fat soured cream
- 4 slices wholegrain sourdough bread
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan (that has a lid) over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic for 3–4 min until softened. Add the celery and potatoes, and cook, stirring, for 5 min.
- Add the stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, then cover with the lid and simmer for 20–25 min until the potatoes are tender. Remove the lid, then stir in the peas and cook for 3 min or until they are hot.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then blend the soup with a stick blender until almost smooth. Stir in the ham, chives, mint and 1tbsp of the cream. Season with black pepper and simmer over a low-medium heat until hot. Toast the bread.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Top with the remaining soured cream, garnish with the extra chives and mint, and a grind of black pepper, then serve with the toast.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
321 21.2g 6.4g 1.6g 10.3g 12.2g 1.4g 140mg 45.5g 3.7mg