- 1 large red pepper
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms
- 5tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼tsp saffron strands
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- ½tsp ground ginger
- ½tsp allspice
- 3tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled, shelled and chopped
- 50g blanched almonds, toasted
- 230g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 bunch of watercress, leaves finely chopped
- 7 filo pastry sheets
- Preheat the grill to medium high, then cook the pepper on all sides until blackened. Put it into a plastic food storage bag for 2 min to loosen the skin. When cool enough to handle, skin, deseed and dice the pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Pour 150ml hot water over the porcini mushrooms and leave to stand for 15 min. Drain, reserving the liquid, then coarsely chop.
- Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan, then add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 min or until softened and golden. Add the saffron and spices and cook for 30 sec, then add the parsley and the reserved porcini soaking liquid. Season, then simmer for 10 min or until the liquid has almost evaporated. Stir in the chopped eggs and the almonds. Season with black pepper, then remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1tbsp of the remaining oil in another frying pan, then add the porcini and chestnut mushrooms. Cook over a medium-high heat for 2–3 min, then stir in the carrots, watercress and diced pepper.
- To assemble the pie, brush 2 filo sheets with a little of the remaining oil and use to line a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin, leaving the edges hanging over the side. Fold another filo sheet in half and use to line the base of the tin. Spoon the onion and egg mixture over the pastry and cover with another filo sheet. Add the mushroom mixture and top with 2 more filo sheets, tucking them down into the sides of the tin to create a neat parcel. Brush the top of the pie with oil and decorate with the final filo sheet, crumpled into pieces. Bake for 40–45 min until golden and crisp, then transfer to a plate and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
304kcal 11.9g 19.8g 3.2g 5.3g 7.4g 0.4g 126mg 22.3g 3.3mg