- 2tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean lamb chops, trimmed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp ground turmeric
- Large pinch saffron threads, soaked in 1tbsp hot water
- Large handful each fresh coriander and parsley, leaves and stalks separated and finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre reduced-salt chicken stock
- 75g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 55g dried green lentils, rinsed
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan (that has a lid) over a medium–high heat. Add the lamb chops and cook for 2 min on each side or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the remaining oil with the onion, celery, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, saffron with its soaking liquid and the stalks from the coriander and parsley. Cook for 3–5 min until the veg begin to soften.
- Return the lamb chops to the pan along with the tomatoes, stock, chickpeas and 250ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover with the lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hr.
- Add the lentils and cook for 45 min or until the lamb and pulses are tender. Add the lemon juice and the parsley and coriander leaves, season with black pepper and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
227 17g 8.9g 2.4g 5.8g 8.8g 1.1mg 80mg 21.4g 4.4mg