User Review( votes)
Mushroom and chickpea ragout
This vegetarian ragout uses dried mushrooms for an intense flavour, and chickpeas to bulk it up with satisfying protein. It's a surefire crowdpleaser.
Prep Time 10 min
Cooking Time 45 minHealthy Food Guide
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30g dried mixed mushrooms
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Pinch chilli flakes, to taste
- 3tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley (optional)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, then gently cook the onions for 10–12 min until soft. Add the garlic, then cook for 2 min.
- Meanwhile, put the dried mushrooms in a small bowl, then pour over 200ml boiling water and leave to soak for 10 min. Drain, reserving the liquid, then roughly chop.
- Add the mushrooms to the frying pan, along with their liquid, straining it through a sheet of kitchen roll to remove any grit. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and chilli flakes, then season well with freshly ground black pepper. Simmer gently for 30 min.
- Scatter with the chopped parsley, if using, then serve.