- 2tsp olive oil
- 1 large leek (white part only), thinly sliced
- 1 baby fennel, finely chopped, fronds reserved
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 175ml white wine
- 125ml reduced-salt fish or vegetable stock
- 1.5kg mussels, scrubbed and beards removed (discard any open mussels that don’t close when tapped sharply on the worksurface)
- 400g tin cannellini beans in water, drained
- 2tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 100g rocket
- 100g roasted red peppers (from a jar), sliced
- 4 slices sourdough bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan (one with a tight-fitting lid) over a medium-low heat. Add the leek and fennel bulb. Cook, stirring, for 6–7 min until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- Increase the heat to high, then add the wine to the pan and simmer for 2 min. Add the stock, mussels, cannellini beans and parsley. Cover the pan tightly with the lid and simmer, shaking the pan occasionally, for 6–7 min until the mussels open. Remove from the heat and discard any unopened mussels.
- Meanwhile, toss the rocket and roasted peppers in a salad bowl.
- Season the mussels and broth with ground black pepper, then ladle into 4 dishes and garnish with the fennel fronds. Serve with the sourdough and salad.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
313kcal 26.4g 5.2g 0.9g 8.5g 3.7g 1.6g 243mg 32.3g 9.7mg