- 2tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- ½tsp five-spice powder
- 150g each broccoli, mangetout and green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 300g udon noodles
- Pack of 6 prawn or chicken Asian-style steamed dumplings (we used Waitrose Asian Fusion Prawn Dumplings)
- 50g baby spinach
- 2tsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1tsp toasted sesame oil
- Combine the stock and five-spice powders with 700ml boiling water in a large pan. Add the broccoli, mangetout and green beans and simmer for 3–4 min if fresh or 5 min if frozen. A couple of min before they’re cooked, add the noodles and heat through.
- Meanwhile, heat the dumplings according to the pack instructions.
- Stir the spinach through the broth. Divide the noodles between 2 serving bowls, then ladle over the broth and veg. Top with the dumplings, drizzle with the soy sauce and sesame oil, then serve.
Tip 1: Make sure you use steamed dumplings rather than fried ones – and if you follow a dairy-free diet, check they’re free from milk products (most, but not all, are).
Tip 2: For a more traditional Japanese dish, use ramen noodles if you can get them.