- 225g self-raising flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 135g porridge oats, plus 2tbsp extra to sprinkle
- 50g soft brown sugar, plus 2tsp extra to sprinkle
- 1 egg
- 100g runny honey
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100g low-fat spread, melted
- 284ml carton buttermilk
- 110g rhubarb, thinly sliced
- Heat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with baking paper squares or large muffin cases.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir through the 135g oats and 50g sugar.
- Whisk the egg, honey, vanilla extract, melted spread and buttermilk together in a large jug. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the rhubarb (do not over-mix). Divide the batter among the paper cases.Combine the extra oats and brown sugar in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the muffins. Bake for 15–20 min until golden and firm to touch.
- Cool in the tin for 5 min, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. The muffins will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
197kcal 4.6g 4.4g 1g 2.1g 12.9g 0.6g 107mg 36.8g 1.2mg