- Flavourless spray oil, to grease
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 150g runny honey
- Grated zest 2 large oranges, plus 100ml juice
- 5tbsp mild extra-virgin olive oil
- 125g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g ground almonds
- 1tbsp natural flaked almonds, toasted
- For the syrup
- Zest and juice 1 large orange
- 2tbsp runny honey
- Heat the oven to 160ºC/fan 140°C/ gas 3. Lightly spray a 20cm round cake tin with oil. Line the base and sides with baking paper. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, honey, orange zest and juice and olive oil until well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a medium bowl. Gently fold the flour mixture and ground almonds into the egg mixture.
- In a separate clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the cake batter in batches until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, then bake for 30–35 min until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup: combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat, stirring to dissolve the honey. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced by half.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and brush the top with the warm syrup,
then scatter over the toasted almonds. Serve the cake while it’s still warm or
at room temperature.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
238 4.8g 11.8g 1.7g 1.5g 17.5g 0.3g 50mg 27.3g 0.9mg