- 2 red onions, sliced into rings
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, prepared as above
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 300g bulgur wheat
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges, juice made up to 600ml with water
- Handful (about 40g) each of green and black olives
- 50g toasted almonds, chopped
- Flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
- Sauté the onion and fennel in the oil for 10 min until both are tender to the point of a knife. Stir in the bulgur wheat, the orange zest and diluted juice.
- Bring to the boil, then take off the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 15 min or until the bulgur wheat is fluffy and tender.
- Stir in the olives and almonds and season with black pepper. Serve garnished with the parsley.
Star ingredient: Almonds are a super performer for protecting you against heart disease – they’re low in saturated fat and rich in calcium and magnesium. You only need three to six a day to reap the benefits.