- 1 ham or bacon hock
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g yellow or green split peas, washed
- Fresh basil or parsley leaves, to garnish
- 6 crusty bread slices, to serve
- Put all the ingredients, except the basil, into the slow cooker. Add 2 litres boiling water.
- Cover and cook on high for 4–5 hr or on low for 8–10 hr until the split peas are soft and the ham/bacon falls off the bone.
- Remove the ham/bacon bone from the slow cooker, then remove the fat and meat from the bone, discarding the fat. Chop the meat and add back to the soup.
- Garnish with the basil or parsley and season to taste with black pepper. Serve with the slices of crusty bread.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
388 kcal 26.7g 4g 0.8g 7.8g 7.6g 1.9g 89mg 65.4g 4.9mg