For the sauce
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1tsp dried oregano
For the base
- 2 x 7g sachets fast-action dried yeast
- ½tsp sugar
- 450g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook for 5 min. Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 2 min.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 min or until the sauce is thickened, stirring often. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf, then purée the sauce with a stick blender until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the base: put the yeast, sugar and 250ml lukewarm water in a large bowl. Set aside for 15 min or until the mixture is frothy.
- Sift the flour into the yeast mixture, then add 1tbsp oil and mix. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured board or worksurface, then knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 min). Return the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and put in a warm place until doubled in size (about 30 min). Heat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7 and line 2 large baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- Punch down the dough, then knead again for 1 min. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and form into balls, then press or roll each ball into 18–20cm pizza bases.
- Put the pizza bases on the prepared baking sheets (you may need to work in batches), then put in the oven for 3–4 min to part-bake. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
- Once cool, spread the pizza sauce over the bases. Wrap the pizza bases individually in clingfilm, then foil. Freeze for up to 6 weeks, clearly marked with the date. Thaw, then top with one of the following ideas…
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
253kcal 6.8g 3.7g 0.7g 4g 5.3g 0g 81mg 51.3g 2mg