- 2tsp paprika
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 2tbsp peri-peri sauce (or curry paste)
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, halved
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced lengthwise and chopped
- 250g butternut squash, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can light coconut milk
- 3tbsp mango chutney
- 300g brown rice
- 120g kale, roughly chopped
- Juice 1 lemon or lime
- Handful fresh coriander, to garnish
- 250ml low-fat natural yogurt and 4 mini wholemeal pittas, toasted, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine the spices, oregano, peri-peri sauce or curry paste and tomato purée. Add the chicken and stir to coat well.
- Heat the slow cooker to high. Using the sauté function, heat the oil, add the onion and garlic and cook for 2–3 min. Or use a non-stick frying pan on the hob, then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken, vegetables, tomatoes, beans, coconut milk and chutney to the slow cooker. Stir and cover, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 6–8 hr.
- About 30 min before the end of the cooking time, cook the rice according to the pack instructions. Ten min before serving, add the kale and lemon/lime juice to the curry and stir through.
- Serve the curry, garnished with fresh coriander, with the rice, yogurt and toasted pittas on the side.
TIP: Use any leftovers to make a tasty chunky soup – just add a little water or stock when reheating.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
442kcal 29.3g 12.6g 5.8g 9.1g 18.2g 1.1g 214mg 48.2g 4.9mg