- Cooking oil spray
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1.2kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced into 2–3mm rounds
- 2tsp cornflour
- 200ml skimmed milk
- 50g mature cheddar, grated
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and put over a medium heat. Gently cook the onions and garlic for 10 min or until soft and lightly browned.
- Spray a large baking dish with oil, then cover the base with a quarter of the potato slices, overlapping slightly. Top with a third of the onion mixture. Repeat the potato and onion layers, finishing with the potatoes.
- Mix the cornflour with a little of the milk in a jug to form a paste, then stir in the rest of the milk. Pour over the gratin, then cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 min, remove from the oven and sprinkle over the cheese and thyme, then return to the oven, loosely covered, for another 20 min. Remove the foil and cook for a further 10 min or until the cheese is melted and the top is crisp.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
149 5.6g 2.8g 1.4g 2.9g 4g 0.2g 95mg 26.9g 0.7mg