For the base
- 50g ground yellow linseeds (available from flaxfarm.co.uk, or see tip at end of recipe)
- 50g ground almonds
- Pinch of Maldon sea salt
- 1 heaped tbsp soya flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
For the topping
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g roasted red peppers (in oil from a jar or roasted at home), cut into thin strips
- Small handful rocket leaves
- 50g feta, coarsely crumbled
- 30g pitted black olives, halved
- 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- Heat the oven to 240°C/ 220°C fan/gas 9. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and put in the oven. In a large mixing bowl combine the ground linseeds and almonds with the salt. Sift the soya flour and baking powder and add to the bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with 75ml water until thoroughly blended. Add to the dry ingredients and stir to blend. Leave to stand for 5 min to allow it to thicken up.
- Without stirring the mixture, tip it on to a sheet of baking paper on the work surface about the size of the baking sheet in the oven. Lay a sheet of clingfilm over the top of the mixture and with your fingers gently push it intoa circle 20cm diameter and 1cm thick. Tidy the edge, again using your fingers, then peel off the clingfilm.
- Slide the prepared base on its paper on to the hot baking sheet, and bake for 10 min until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Toss the tomatoes, peppers and rocket together in a medium bowl. If using peppers in oil from a jar, there should be no need to add any oil, but if you roasted your own, add an extra drizzle. Scatter the tomatoes, peppers and rocket over the base, then add the feta and olives and drizzle with 1tbsp oil, including the crust.
- Bake for a further 10–12 min until golden at the edges. Leave to cool to room temperature. Use a spatula to loosen and slip it off its paper on to a board for slicing.
GRIND YOUR OWN yellow linseeds using a spice or coffee grinder, or a food processor.
Recipe taken from Low Carb Express by Annie Bell (Kyle Books, £16.99). Photos by Con Poulos