- 250g beetroot, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 500g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- Cooking oil spray
- 400g skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 750ml reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 175g pearl barley
- 100ml white wine
- 100g rocket
- 3tbsp grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Put the beetroot and squash in one of the prepared trays and spray with oil. Toss to coat, then roast for 35–40 min until tender.
- Meanwhile, arrange the chicken in the other prepared tray in a single layer and spray with oil. Roast for 20–25 min until cooked through. Remove from the oven and keep warm.
- Heat the stock in a medium saucepan over a high heat until almost boiling. Reduce the heat and cover the pan with a lid.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, deep frying pan set over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 min. Add the pearl barley, stir and cook for 1 min. Add the wine and simmer until all the liquid evaporates. Add the hot stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 30 min or until the barley is al dente and the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Slice the chicken. Stir the roasted beetroot and squash into the risotto with the rocket, then top with the chicken, parmesan and a grind of black pepper.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
408 29.5g 8.6g 2.3g 4.2g 9.9g 1.5g 170mg 52.4g 3.8mg