User Review( votes)
Roast turkey breasts with apple and quinoa stuffing
Turkey breasts are stuffed with a fantastic quinoa and apple stuffing and served with lashings of gravy in this easier twist on a Christmas dinner. Or, why wait for Christmas? Try it at your next Sunday roast.
Prep Time 15 min
Cooking Time 1 hr 5 min + resting
- 85g quinoa
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 green apple, finely chopped
- 2tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 x 600g skinless turkey breasts
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4tbsp reduced-salt gravy granules
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Bring a medium pan of water to the boil, then add the quinoa and cook for 15 min or until tender and opaque. Drain and set aside.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking oil and set it over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and apple and cook, stirring, for 5 min or until soft. Stir in the cooked quinoa and the chopped sage.
- Without cutting all the way through, slice each turkey breast horizontally along one of the long edges. Open each breast like a book so it lies flat. Spoon the quinoa and celery stuffing into the centre of each turkey breast, then fold the sides to enclose it. Tie the stuffed turkey breasts with kitchen string at 2cm intervals to secure.
- Heat the olive oil in a flameproof roasting pan over a high heat. Add the turkey breasts and cook for 10 min, turning often, or until browned all over. Pour 300ml water into the pan, then transfer it to the oven and roast for 30–35 min until the turkey is golden and cooked through. Transfer the turkey to a warmed plate, cover with foil and set aside to rest for 15 min.
- Meanwhile, drain the juices left in the roasting pan into a heatproof jug and skim off any excess oil. You’ll need 500ml liquid in total – if you don’t have enough, top up with freshly boiled water from the kettle. Put the gravy granules in a saucepan and set it over a medium heat. Pour in the roasting juices, whisking constantly, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking continuously, for 2 min or until you have a thick gravy.
- Cut the string from the rested turkey breasts and thickly slice carefully (you don’t want the stuffing to spill out). Serve with the gravy, potatoes and vegetables.