- 500g peeled butternut squash, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 250g arborio rice
- 200ml white wine
- 325g frozen peas
- 30g parmesan-style vegetarian cheese, finely grated
- 3tbsp chopped fresh mint, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Line a large baking tray with baking paper, then add the squash and toss with half the oil. Bake for 30 min or until tender.
- Meanwhile, boil 900ml water in a large pan, then dissolve the stock powder in the water and keep it at a gentle simmer.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, fennel seeds and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 min or until the onion softens. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until coated with the oil. Add the wine and stir until absorbed. Gradually add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring until it is absorbed before adding more – this should take about 20 min.
- Add the peas and cheese to the risotto and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Remove from the heat, then stir in the chopped mint and two-thirds of the roasted squash.
- Divide the risotto among 4 bowls, then scatter with the remaining squash, the mint sprigs and a grind of black pepper.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
448 14.6g 8.5g 2.7g 9.3g 10.2g 0.8g 229mg 75.8g 3.2mg