User Review( votes)
- 400g maris piper potatoes, cut into chunks
- 300g skinless boneless salmon fillet
- 100g smoked salmon, chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 2tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 2tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 1large egg, beaten
- 50g dried white breadcrumbs
- Spray cooking oil
For the chips
- 600g maris piper potatoes, skin on, cut into thin chips
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 2tsp sunflower oil
For the lemon dip
- 200g 5% greek yogurt
- 2tsp dijon mustard
- Zest 1 lemon and 1tsp juice
- 2tsp chopped fresh dill, plus extra to garnish
- To make the fishcakes, steam the 400g potatoes for 15–20 min until soft. Add the salmon fillet to the water below the steamer for the last 5 min of cooking, so that it’s just cooked through. Transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl, mash and set aside to cool slightly. Remove the fish and flake on top of the mash.
- Add the smoked salmon to the bowl, then mix in the lemon zest and juice, herbs, spring onions and some freshly ground black pepper. Shape the mixture into 8 equal-size fishcakes.
- Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs into 3 separate shallow bowls. Dust each fishcake all over with the flour, dip into the beaten egg, then finally coat in the breadcrumbs. Put the fishcakes on the prepared baking tray, then chill, covered, for 30 min or up to 48 hr (if chilling for longer they’ll be firmer, but you’ll need to add extra cooking time to ensure they’re piping hot throughout).
- To make the chips, heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Spread the cut potatoes on 1 large or 2 smaller baking trays. Season with the paprika, drizzle with the oil, toss well to coat, then bake, turning now and then, for 30 min or until crisp and golden and fluffy in the middle.
- Meanwhile, mix the dip ingredients with black pepper and garnish with the dill.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Spray the fishcakes with oil all over and put in the pan. Fry the fishcakes, in 2 batches, for 4–5 min on each side until golden brown and heated through. Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper to remove any brown crumbs between batches if necessary (keep the cooked fishcakes warm in the oven).
- Serve the fishcakes, garnished with extra parsley and dill, with the chips, dip and lemon wedges to squeeze over.
TO FREEZE Open-freeze the uncooked fishcakes on a baking sheet, then put in a sealed bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before cooking.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
519kcal 32g 18g 3.5g 5.5g 6.4g 1.3g 141mg 52g 2.6mg