User Review( vote)
- Spray oil
- 750g lean beef brisket, cut into large chunks
- 1tbsp sliced fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 20g roasted peanuts
- 4 dried long red chillies, seeds removed
- 4 garlic cloves
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp ground turmeric
- 1tbsp curry powder
- 3tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced lengthwise
- 400ml can light coconut milk (we used East End)
- 3 x 250g packs ready to heat brown rice, heated, and 500g steamed greens, to serve
- Spray a heavy-based deep pan with a lid with oil and set over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the beef chunks and brown.
- In a food processor, pulse together the ginger, onion, peanuts, chillies and garlic until coarsely chopped. Add to the beef with the remaining spices, coconut and lemongrass, and cook for 3–4 min. Add the coconut milk and 400ml water.
- Cover the pan and simmer for at least 2 hr until the beef is soft. Stir regularly during cooking to ensure there is enough liquid and the meat doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Serve the rendang with the brown rice and steamed greens.
TIPS Slow-cook this recipe for 4–6 hr in a slow cooker set on low.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
548 36g 20g 10g 9.1g 5.8g 0.4g 98mg 49g 6.6mg