- 550g beef braising steak (fat trimmed), cubed
- 2tbsp dukkah
- 1½tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 100g red lentils
- 1 batch Veg-packed rich tomato sauce, thawed if frozen (see recipe)
- 700g sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 large parsnips, chopped
- 400g potatoes, chopped
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped, to garnish
- Preheat your slow cooker to high (see below). Toss the beef in the dukkah to coat it. Heat ½tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened.
- Add the beef, onions, carrots, celery, lentils, Veg-packed rich tomato sauce and 200ml water to the slow cooker. Stir to combine, then reset to low and cook for 8 hr.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, put the sweet potatoes, parsnips and potatoes in a pan of boiling water and cook for 30 min until tender. Mash roughly with the remaining olive oil.
- Serve the mash with the beef, garnished with fresh parsley.
No slow cooker? Add all the ingredients to a large lidded pan in step 2, and simmer on the hob for 2 hr 30 min, checking now and then to see if it needs more liquid.