- 75g mixed pitted olives, roughly sliced
- 1tbsp capers in brine, drained
- 200ml dry white wine or reduced-salt stock
- 200g smoked mackerel fillets, skin removed, flaked
- 1tsp olive oil
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can finely chopped tomatoes
- 300g wholewheat pasta (we used fusilli)
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the chilli flakes, garlic and olives and cook for 1–2 min. Add the capers and tomato purée, then pour in the wine or stock and bring up to a simmer. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 15 min to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions until al dente. Drain, saving a cupful of the cooking water.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the mackerel and heat for a few min to warm through, then stir in the drained pasta with a splash of the cooking water and toss well to mix. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
TIP: Swap the wine or stock and tomato purée for a second can of tomatoes, if you prefer.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
511 22g 17g 3.3g 10g 8g 1.8g 77mg 52g 4.2mg