- 1 large red onion
- 25g fresh coriander
- 1 small ripe avocado, roughly chopped
- 3 tomatoes, finely chopped
- Juice 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 2 x 200g thick lean sirloin steaks, fat trimmed
- Olive oil spray
- ¼tsp cumin
- ¼tsp ground coriander
- ¼tsp paprika
- ¼tsp dried oregano
- 4 large flat mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red and 1 yellow medium pepper, sliced into thick strips
- 8 small tortillas
- Finely chop a quarter of the onion and half the coriander. Mix in a bowl with the avocado, tomatoes and lime juice, then set aside.
- Spray the steaks on both sides with oil. Combine the dried herbs and spices in a bowl, then rub all over the steaks.
- Heat the barbecue to medium-high. Cut the remaining onion into wedges, then add to the barbecue with the mushrooms and peppers. Cook for 7–8 min until charred and tender. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add the steaks to the barbecue and cook for 3–4 min on each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5 min before slicing thinly.
While the steaks are resting, warm the tortillas according to the pack instructions. Serve topped with the barbecued veg and beef, the avocado salsa, remaining coriander sprigs and lime wedges to squeeze over.
This works just as well with butterflied chicken breasts. Be sure to cook them all the way through in step 4.