- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 75g granulated sweetener
- 1tbsp Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
- Heat the oven to 150°C/fan 130°C/gas 2. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Put the egg whites into a clean, grease-free mixing bowl and add the cream of tartar. Very lightly whisk them together using a hand whisk until combined. Using an electric whisk, whisk the mixture on a high speed for 2 min until thick and foamy. Reduce the speed of the whisk, sprinkle over the sweetener, then increase the speed again and whisk for a further 4–5 min until you have a thick, glossy meringue mixture.
- Using a dessertspoon, put blobs of the meringue on to
the lined baking tray to make 8–12 meringues, leaving a little space between them. Evenly sprinkle a little of the five-spice powder, if using, over each one. Bake for 1 hr until soft but not sticky to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 min, then carefully divide the meringues among 4 serving plates. Serve alongside a portion of exotic fruit salsa, if you like.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
23 2.6g 0.4g 0.1g 1.7g 0.1g 0.1g 53mg 19.9g 1.3mg