- 3tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½tsp flaked salt
- 2tsp sugar
- ½ cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 2tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 3tbsp mirin
- 1tsp szechuan peppercorns, crushed
- 350g firm tofu, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 2tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 small wholemeal rolls, halved
- 1 small ripe avocado, roughly mashed
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 8tbsp alfalfa sprouts (or salad cress or micro leaves)
- Combine the vinegar, salt and sugar in a small bowl until dissolved. Add the cucumber, then toss and set aside to pickle for 15 min. Drain and squeeze to remove the excess moisture.
- Meanwhile, combine the soy sauce, mirin and peppercorns in a large, shallow dish. Add the tofu and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate for at least 10 min.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the tofu (reserving the remaining marinade) and cook for 1 min, turning halfway, or until it’s lightly golden. Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour in the rest of the marinade. Toss the tofu to coat, then simmer for a further 2 min or until the sauce is reduced to a glaze. Sprinkle the tofu with the sesame seeds.
- Spread the base of each roll with the mashed avocado. Top with lettuce, grated carrot, the sticky soy tofu, pickled cucumber and alfalfa sprouts, cress or micro leaves. Top with the roll lids and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
377 16g 17.7g 3.1g 7.4g 11g 1.1g 131mg 34g 3.8mg