- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- ½–1tsp chilli powder, to taste
- 1tbsp dried oregano
- 500g carton tomato passata
- 1tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 200ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tins red kidney beans, drained
- 350g waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), scrubbed and diced
- 2 chargrilled red peppers from a jar, sliced
- 6 slices of baguette and 60g grated cheddar, to serve
- Heat the oil in a shallow flameproof casserole dish. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 3 min or until softened. Add the cumin, paprika, chilli powder and oregano and cook for a further 1 min. Stir in the passata, tomato paste and stock and season with black pepper. Simmer gently for 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the kidney beans, potatoes and peppers and bring to the boil, then simmer for 12–15 min until the sauce has thickened and the potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Arrange the baguette slices on top of the chilli and scatter with the grated cheddar. Put the casserole dish under the grill and cook until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Serve with a green salad.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
286kcal 13.3g 7.6g 2.9g 8.1g 10g 1.3g 193mg 42.9g 3.3mg iron