- 400g can black beans, drained
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp reduced-salt gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 2–3tsp chipotle paste
- 8 very large flat mushrooms, stalks removed, wiped with wet kitchen roll
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 slices (80g) Swiss cheese
- ½ iceberg lettuce, leaves torn
- 1tbsp gluten-free American mustard
- 2 vacuum-packed beetroots, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 8 slices pickled jalapeño
- Heat the oven to 200ºC/fan 180°C/gas 6. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- In a bowl, crush the black beans until most of them are broken but not mashed. Add the beef mince, egg, tamari or soy sauce and chipotle paste, then mix well. Using wet hands, form
the mixture into 4 burgers.
- Put the mushrooms on the prepared tray. Drizzle over 1tbsp of the oil and season with pepper. Cook in the oven for 10–12 min until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the burgers for 4–5 min on each side until browned and cooked through to your liking. Put a slice of cheese on each burger, transfer to the baking tray and cook in the oven for 1 min or until the cheese is melted.
- Top 4 of the mushrooms, stalk side up, with lettuce, a burger, mustard, beetroot, onion, carrot and jalapeño. Finish with
a mushroom ‘lid’ and serve, held together with a skewer if you like.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
443 39g 19.9g 7.1g 8.9g 9.5g 1.6g 232mg 22.3g 4mg