- 115g low-fat spread, plus extra to grease
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tbsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground mixed spice
- 115g soft brown sugar
- 100g apple sauce
- 100g runny honey
- 125ml skimmed milk
- 75g stem ginger from a jar, very finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
For the icing
- 5tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 25g crystallised ginger and fresh mint sprigs (optional), to decorate
- Heat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3 and lightly grease a 20–22cm ring cake tin. Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Put the spread, soft brown sugar, apple sauce and honey in a pan and heat gently until the sugar is dissolved. Turn up the heat and bring the mixture almost to the boil, then add the milk.
- Pour the warm liquid over the flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the chopped stem ginger and the egg and stir until the mixture forms a thick batter. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 35–45 min until a skewer pushed into the sponge comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin, then turn out on to a cake stand or plate.
- Once the cake is completely cool, make the icing. Mix the icing sugar in a small bowl with a little water until the consistency is just runny, then drizzle over the cake. Decorate with the crystallised ginger and mint (if using).
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
155 2.1g 2.8g 0.7g 0.8g 21.4g 0.4g 72mg 32.5g 0.8mg