- 200g pearl barley
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 400g chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 red or green chilli, sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 200g sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
- 250g choi sum or tenderstem broccoli, cut into 6cm lengths
- 1tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1tbsp mirin
- 2tsp toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- Cook the pearl barley in a large saucepan of boiling water over a medium-high heat for about 50 min or until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, add half the oil to a large wok or non-stick frying pan over a high heat and stir-fry the chicken for 5 min or until cooked through and browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the wok or frying pan to a high heat and add the remaining oil. Stir-fry the onion and ginger for 1 min, then add the chilli, red pepper and sugar snap peas and stir-fry for 1–2 min until almost tender. Add the choi sum or broccoli and cook for a further min.
- Return the chicken to the wok or frying pan, along with the pearl barley, soy sauce and mirin. Heat through. Serve garnished with sesame seeds.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
448kcal 41.7g 6.3g 1.1g 12.4g 8.3g 0.2g 102mg 48.6g 3.5mg